Toxic Plants To Never Have In Your Home

It is hard to imagine that something as beautiful and innocent looking like a plant can be deadly. However, many plants out there contain toxic components that, if ingested by humans or animals, will cause serious health problems or even death. This blog post will briefly discuss some of the most dangerous plants you should never have in your home.

Poinsettia Plants

Poinsettia plants are beautiful red plants that can brighten up any room. However, they can be highly toxic to humans and animals if ingested, so you should never have them in your home during the holiday season.

The sap found in poinsettia leaves contains diterpene esters which cause all sorts of stomach problems, including nausea and vomiting, among other more serious issues such as difficulty breathing, dizziness, or even death if eaten by humans or animals.

The leaves of these plants contain a glycoside called “Euphorbia Pulcherrima Lectin,” an irritant that causes burning of the mouth, lips, and tongue and nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Even though most cases of poinsettia ingestion do not result in death, it certainly does make for some very unpleasant hours or even days after consumption!

Lillies

Lilies are another extremely dangerous plant due to their toxicity levels being high enough to cause kidney damage leading to acute renal failure. These flowers may look like something out of paradise, but ingesting even a small amount of any part of the plant can be deadly.

The toxin that lilies contain is called “lycorine,” and it inhibits the production of new cells in the body, leading to serious health complications or death. So if you have lilies in your home, make sure to keep them away from both children and pets, as even a lick or two could land them in the hospital!

Aloe Vera

Aloe vera plants are no exception to the rule. They contain a sap that is used for medicinal purposes and can be highly beneficial when applied topically to burns or other skin abrasions. But, ingesting this substance may cause diarrhea, stomach cramps, and pain, as well as nausea, among other potential health issues.

This plant contains two chemicals that produce toxic effects in humans including “aloin,” which causes poisoning due to severe damage to liver cells resulting in jaundice (yellowing of the eyes) and vomiting and abdominal pain. Another chemical called “sennoside A & B” is in aloe vera leaves, which result in an irritation of the intestines, causing bloody stools, nausea, and vomiting. Aloe vera is an excellent plant for skincare due to its healing properties, but you should never ingest it.

Rhubarb Leaves

Rhubarb may be a delicious addition to pies and other sweet treats, but humans or animals should never consume the leaves as they are highly toxic. The leaves of the rhubarb plant contain oxalate crystals which can cause health problems if ingested. The leaves also contain a glycoside called “oxalic acid,” which, if ingested, can cause poisoning.

Symptoms of rhubarb toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, excessive thirst, weakness, and coma. The oxalate crystals found in the leaves can also form stones in the kidneys leading to renal failure, so it is best to steer clear of this poisonous plant!

Bleeding Heart Vine

The bleeding heart vine is a beautiful plant that you can find growing wild in many parts of the world. But, this pretty vine contains a toxin called “cerberin,” which can be deadly to both humans and animals if ingested.

Symptoms of poisoning from this toxin include vomiting, diarrhea, low blood pressure, an irregular heartbeat, and seizures. In severe cases, death may occur. So it’s best to avoid having this plant in your home or garden, as even just ingesting a small amount of the toxin can be fatal! So be sure to keep away from the bleeding heart vine if you want to stay safe!

Oleander Plants

Oleander is sometimes called the “suicide plant” due to its toxicity, so it’s best not to have one of these bad boys growing near you. The oleander plant contains two very toxic components, including “oleandrin” and “neriine,” which can cause serious health problems or even death if ingested by humans or animals.

Oleander poisoning can result in nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, low blood pressure, and an irregular heartbeat, amongst other issues such as muscle twitching and seizures. Other symptoms also include dilated pupils, confusion, hallucinations leading to coma, and acute kidney failure due to high levels of oleandrin within the leaves that damage cells within this organ, resulting in renal failure, among other similar complications! So remember not to keep oleander plants in your home or garden as they are extremely poisonous and should never be ingested!

Azalea Plants

You do not want to have Azalea plants in your home or garden due to their high toxicity levels. The plant’s leaves, flowers, and stems all contain a toxin called “rhododendrine,” which can cause serious health problems if ingested by humans or animals.

Azaleas are also known to be one of the most poisonous plants in existence, so it’s not worth taking any chances! So make sure you keep these dangerous plants away from both children and pets! Ingesting even a small amount of this toxin can result in vomiting, diarrhea, low blood pressure, and an irregular heartbeat as well as seizures, so it is best to avoid having these plants around.

Bamboo Palm

The bamboo palm is beautiful to behold but should never be kept as a houseplant because it contains toxic components called “saponins” which are poisonous if ingested. The saponin toxin can cause symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, and even death, depending on how much of this poison you ingest! So remember not to have these plants in your kitchen or living room because they could prove fatal so keep away from curious children and pets at all costs!

Sago Palm

Also known as the cycad tree, sago palms contain another hazardous toxin called ‘cycasin’ which causes symptoms such as vomiting, abdominal pain, convulsions, etc. In extreme cases, cycasin poisoning has also led to liver damage and even death. So it’s best to avoid having this plant in your home or garden as it can be perilous if ingested!

Conclusion

So as you can see, there are a few plants that you should definitely avoid having in your home or garden due to their high toxicity levels. These plants can cause serious health problems if ingested by humans or animals, so it’s best to keep them well away from both children and pets! Stay safe and steer clear of these dangerous plants!