Ever went on hiking through a mountainous trail and could not find even an ounce of water in the mountain that was suitable to drink? Well, if you have been in this situation, then you might know how precious it could be if you could have a portable water system with you. It is wise that you keep such a device with you every time you go hiking.
Finding drinking water in the middle of nowhere is dangerous and can generate various unknown diseases if you consume it bare. But don’t you worry, as you can now have a look at these ten best portable water purification systems, which will not only enhance the way you consume water from the wild but will also keep you safe from all other sorts of diseases.
Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Filter
You know you can get both performance and portability comfort when you buy a Katadyn product. It is one of the best-selling products you can ever find out in the markets. The water filter comes with a small cup that allows you to drink even in smaller portions, along with a pump that will enable you to pump water from the source of water to the primary filter.
The Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Filter product is relatively easy to use and is also quite comfortable, unlike other hard rubber pumps. This water filter makes a good option for those who are traveling alone or in a group. You can easily filter water in about a minute, giving you an overall safe gadget to have in the wild. The transparent design allows one to check out the filtration process. The cleaning is a breeze and will not make it hard for you to sit and clean. All you need to do is wash the filter, and you will do your work of cleaning. It also clears out mud and other organisms allowing you to drink clean water.
- It weighs only 11 ounces, so it is a small compact size perfect for travelers.
- Easy setup allows handy use.
- Maintenance won’t be a problem.
- Long tubes allow getting the water from the source quickly.
- The filter can have some problems with filtering silty water.
LifeStraw Water Filter For Hiking
One of the most compact and perfect water filters for personal use is the LifeStraw water filter. It is easy to use, convenient, and portable for any significant hikes or camping tours. This small compact filter can filter up to 792 gallons of water without using any chemicals, and it also makes sure to kill about 99.9% of germs in the process. It does not have a shelf life making it a lifelong usable product. A one-time investment, but full-life usage product!
- Just like the size, the price is also relatively small
- Easy to carry around
- Needs no additional filter or equipment
- Need manual suction in order to take out water from the source, which can be quite hard if you are at a higher altitude.
Etekcity Straw Water Filter
The Etekcity straw water filter comes with a filter bag that allows the removal of any harmful ions from the water along with other toxic chemicals such as chlorine, iron, and other heavy ions. The activated carbon also makes sure that it keeps away all sorts of odors or bad tastes. You can make sure to get clean water every time you use this device. You can purify about 400 ml per minute; however, you can only use it to filter up to 1500 liters of water, after which you will need to replace it. This amount is enough water to drink even for a year and a half. It has a 3-stage process that keeps off any germs or sediments in the water. Overall a convenient usage model with some time for cleaning.
- Extremely lightweight and small in size
- Filter lifespan of about one and a half years
- A filtration system like those found in advanced filters
- Removes chemicals and gives a good taste
- Flow rate not so appealing
- Cleaning might take time.
LifeStraw Family Water Purifier
One of the water purifiers each family should have in their bags while going on a camp trip is the LifeStraw Family water Purifier. You get clean and pure water killing about 99% of germs, viruses, and even bacteria. The water purifier follows a gravity filtration method that produces clean water within just seconds after pouring the water from a natural source. It can easily filter up to 18,000 liters without having to be replaced, which means a family of four can survive on this water purifier easily for three years! The viruses and bacteria don’t even stand a chance in front of this water purifier.
- Featherweight and small in size
- Value to the money you pay
- It kills bacteria, viruses, pathogens, parasites
- Filters up to 18,000 liters.
- Chemical components might stay back.
This water purifying system is one that everyone should own who loves to go camping and hiking! It is pocket-friendly and is absolutely easy to carry for any personal use but can filter up to 13,000 gallons per minute. It weighs only 7.4 ounces which means a pretty compact size is made available. You can also get an advanced filter system that kills microorganisms.
- Easy to carry around
- Pocket-friendly size
- Filtering chemicals can be a challenging task.
- Only for personal use
Sawyer Products Mini
This water filter mini product weighs around 2 ounces and has taken all hearts away. While using the most advanced technology of about a 1-micron filter, you can get clean water from natural sources. Rated at about 100,000 gallons, one can use this filter for even a big family tour. Though chemicals or virus filtration is not possible, it can easily filter out bacteria with about 99% perfection. An ideal device for all adventurers! Cleaning is not a big issue as the backwashing method is quite convenient, and you can use it anywhere. Sanitizing the filter is also recommended so that you have clean water every time you go out.
- It weighs only 2 ounces
- 1-micron filter clears off bacteria
- Easy cleaning method
- Chemicals and viruses stay back in the water
- Sanitizing will be needed after each usage
Apart from bacteria, this water filter purifies all other harmful contents such as protozoa, viruses, and even pathogens! It takes only about 15 seconds to clear off about 16 ounces or even half a liter of water. It has a three-level cartridge level which is quite suitable for any outdoor activities.
- Ultrafast filter technology with about 15 seconds
- Ultralight and easy carrying capacity
- It kills bacteria, protozoa, and even pathogens.
- Cleaning chemicals can be tricky.
- Not recommended for long term outdoor activities
All you need to do is go to your nearest water source and then take in some water in your bottle, and then you are good to go! With about 99.99% protection, this bottle makes sure you get the ultimate protection from all sorts of harmful viruses and bacteria. With a filter of about 0.2 microns, it makes it a pretty good filter system. This system can handle about 1000 liters of water at about 1.7 liters per minute. Once you drink the water from your bottle, you can blow on the straw to get rid of any clogs. It weighs only 7.8 ounces, making it a lightweight bottle to carry around.
- Cleaning of bacteria done to the maximum capacity
- Easy water filtering method with 1.7 liters of water per minute
- Easily portable.
- You will need to blow manually on the straw to unclog the straw.
- Only personal use is allowed.
- It might not efficiently filter chemicals.
MSR Guardian Purifier Pump
This big yet not so bulky device is a definite master at its duty! It costs quite a lot, but you will find it worth it once you start using it. It purifies everything, including all bacteria, viruses, pathogens, and even other chemical sediments. It has a tough structure that allows it to withstand even the worst of temperatures enabling you to get good and clean water even in such conditions. It weighs about 2.19 pounds and can handle up to 10,000 liters. It can deliver about 2.5 liters per minute.
- Fast filtering method
- Handy but a bit heavy
- Pumps out any impurities
- A lower amount of water filtered per minute
Waterdrop Water Filter Straw
With about 8 inches in length, this water filter system is quite portable, and you can easily connect it to another bottle or your bag. You can also use a tube if the nozzle is not the perfect match for your bottle. You get a really long shelf life of the filter and can filter about 10,000 gallons of water. You can get rid of many impurities and other bacteria without worrying about the water quality.
- Easy carrying capacity
- You can connect it to any bottle.
- It has a long life compared to other filters.
- Cannot drink directly from the filter system
- Must be attached to another container that will be storing the water.
Portable water purification systems are one of the best investments you can make if you are big into outdoor adventures. They could save your life one day and are also convenient to have on hand for regular use. Read carefully through the descriptions and pros and cons to pick the best portable water purifier for you, your family, and your adventures.