With social distancing in full swing because of the coronavirus, it’s more important than ever to be self-sufficient. Instead of heading to the empty grocery stores when you run out of something, here are some everyday items you can make yourself that you might need during the coronavirus pandemic that can all fit into a backpack!
1. Hand Sanitizer: A Coronavirus Combatant
Even though a guy in North Carolina hoarded 18,000 bottles of hand sanitizer, fret not, because you can make your own. You’ll need:
Mix three parts isopropyl alcohol to one part aloe vera gel. Add a few drops of tea tree oil if you’d like to give it a pleasant scent.
2. Wine Bottle Opener
You’ve got a fridge full of wine, but your wine opener just broke! Worry not because you can still get that bottle opened with an everyday item you have in your kitchen drawer. You’ll need:
- A wooden spoon
Remove the foil on the outside of the cork. Take the end of the handle of a wooden spoon (or any other kitchen utensil of similar size) and push the cork down into the bottle of wine. Keep in mind that it’s nearly impossible to remove the cork from the bottle once it is pushed it in. However, you can pour the wine through a strainer and transfer it into a decanter to make sure the cork doesn’t spoil that great vintage!
3. Single-Use Face Mask
We are saving all the face masks, so our brave healthcare workers have the supplies they need to combat the coronavirus. But that doesn’t mean you can’t make your own in a pinch! Grab these items:
- 2 Sheets of paper towels
- 1 Sheet of tissue paper (like Kleenex)
- 4 feet of elastic string
- Masking tape
- 2 Plastic-coated wires
- A hole punch
- Double up the two paper towels (place one over the other).
- Place the tissue paper on top of the paper towels to form three layers, and then cut in half to form two long rectangles
- Tape shut the short ends of the two rectangle portions by wrapping tape from front to back.
- Punch two holes on both ends of the taped sides.
- Tape the plastic-coated wire to the paper towel side, at the bottom quarter center of the rectangle. (This allows you to adjust the mask over your nose.)
- Cut the elastic string into eight even parts, about six inches each.
- Tie the strings through the four holes, adjusting the knots to fit around your ear.
Then, the mask is work across the face, secured at the top and bottom with the elastic bands onto each ear.
4. Basic Disinfectant
This is a great general cleaner that you can make in seconds. You’ll need:
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Spray bottle
Combine one part water and one part rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and shake to mix. Rubbing alcohol is a highly effective disinfectant.
What Better Time Than Now?
It’s important to have the basics like food and water, but you also want to have a sense of normalcy and calm at home. Make sure to gather these items now, stash them in an emergency backpack or kit, and it will ease your mind during the coronavirus pandemic.